Dodge first introduced the LCF model, also referred to as the C-series in 1960. Production  continued through 1975 when Dodge quit production of the big trucks.  The  C- series truck cabs were first introduced on the Dodge, Fargo, Plymouth and DeSoto C series pickups in 1955.  Post 1962 Dodge pickups used a new D100 series cab and the C-series was relegated to big trucks.

Early 1960 version equipped with dual headlamps

The truck cabs on all Dodge LCF models are roomy and sturdy, reinforced to take the hardest knocks. They’re built of heavy-gauge steel and box-section beams and ride on rubber-insulated mounts that snuff out noise and vibration.  The under panel sills also used heavy gauge still. Arc welding was used extensively to increase strength and rigidity.  The cabs also used extra metal reinforcing at the door lock pillar to insure true alignment of the doors.

And who made these truck cabs for Dodge for the LCF?  Checker of course.  Checker took on production of the cabs for Chrysler Corporation in the early sixties and continued to produce the truck cabs through the 1970’s.  It’s highly likely that Checker production started around 1962 allowing Chrysler to free up plant production capacity for the new D100 pickup cabs bodies.  Since a lower number of cab production would be required for the C-series cab, the math clearly worked to outsource to Checker.

 

According to former plant manager John Logan production was run along with Checker automobiles “believe it or not, the cab was run down the Checker line 2 on a dolly in pairs. Welded in the body shop,  run upstairs and painted in the paint shop. Of course every pair were painted the same color. The next pair, with 4 or 5 Checkers between were usually a different color”.

In addition to Dodge, FWD also used the same Chrysler designed cab.   The Four Wheel Drive Auto Company, more often known as Four Wheel Drive (FWD), was a pioneering American company that developed and produced all-wheel drive vehicles. It was founded in 1909 in Clintonville, Wisconsin, as the Badger Four-Wheel Drive Auto Company by Otto Zachow and William Besserdich.

FWD promotional photo of C-series equipped tractor

A small specialty truck manufacturer, by the late twentieth century, FWD typically sourced truck cabs from International, Ford and Dodge.  As the photographic evidence indicates FWD also used the Checker produced Dodge truck cabs.  This writer can recall seeing several Chicagoland area cement companies operating FWD cement mixers utilizing Checker/Dodge truck cabs well into the twentyfirst century.  One can assume, just like the Checker Marathon, the Checker C-series truck cabs were equally tough.

Massive FWD Cement Mixer with Checker built body

For more Checker fun, check out our Facebook page and get a daily dose of Checker talk.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/145497838799022/